Welcome to virtual school! This is your base to explore our exciting online learning during this period of lockdown. While this is a time of challenge, it is also one of many opportunities for pupils to develop as an independent and digitally skilled learner with the support of your teachers and our online lessons.
We all know that a close partnership between school and home sets pupils up for academic success, as well as positive mental health and well-being. The following sessions have been scheduled and joining instructions will be confirmed soon:
Year Group Parent Meetings – Join our video calls to hear from the Principal, Head of Year and Safeguarding Lead about our plans for your child’s phase and how you can best support. There will be an opportunity to ask questions.
- Year 11 – Monday 1st February, 6:30 – 7:15 pm
- Year 7 – Wednesday 3rd February, 6:30 – 7:15 pm
- Year 9 – Monday 8th February, 6:30 – 7:15 pm
- Year 10 – Tuesday 9th February, 6:30 – 7:15 pm
- Year 8 Options Evening – Thursday 11th February, 6:30 – 7:30 pm
Virtual Parents Evenings – We are teaming up with School Cloud to provide virtual parents’ evenings.
- Year 11 – Tuesday 23rd February, 4:00 – 7:00 pm
- Year 10 – Tuesday 2nd March, 4:00 – 7:00 pm
- Year 8 – Thursday 18th March, 4:00 – 7:00 pm
- Year 7 – Monday 26th April, 4:00 – 7:00 pm
- Year 9 – Monday 17th May, 4:00 – 7:00 pm
All virtual learning is accessed using Microsoft Teams and work is usually completed using One Note. This enables teachers to see what each pupil is working on live, give feedback and allows your child to keep a record of all of their work.
One Note is most effective when used on a laptop. If this is a concern, please contact the school using the Form at the foot of this page.
Lessons follow your child’s timetable and each day starts with Learning Family Time or assembly. Friday is time for celebrating pupils’ achievements with the Head of Year in LFT.
|Years 7, 8 & 9|
|11:20 – 12:15||3||3||3||3||3|
|Year 10 & 11|
|11:20 – 12:15||3||3||3||3||3|
Enrichment and Extra-Curricular Activities
We will continue to deliver as full a programme of enrichments as possible through a mixture of live sessions and self-taught content. Students should follow their normal enrichment programme unless informed otherwise. We will also endeavour to provide some virtual music lessons.
- Unifrog – Our online careers platform where pupils can explore their future options and pathways. Please see letter to parents and Parent and Student guides. Parents can also explore the content for support with their own career aspirations!
- Compass Virtual Library – Your base to explore various library challenges and activities.
- Oak Academy Virtual Library – Free reading and writing activities from your favourite childrens’ authors from the National Literacy Trust.
Assessment Week – Monday 8th February to Friday 12th February
This week has been scheduled in addition to our usual cycle of assessments in order to closely monitor your child’s progress and achievement throughout virtual school. All assessments will be completed online. The full timetable of assessments will be sent out in advance in order to allow students to prepare fully.
Behaviour and Rewards
Compass School Southwark has a clear behaviour policy, which seeks to ensure that the culture, ethos and atmosphere for learning is not compromised. The Virtual School Behaviour for Learning update works in addition to our behaviour policy. The document outlines the following:
- Behaviour expectations during online learning
- How to get help from a teacher
- Communication etiquette
- Rewards and sanctions
During virtual school, pupils will be rewarded for both attending all their lessons and for good levels of engagement in their work. Rewards include shoutouts in the celebration PowerPoint, contact home and possibility of winning vouchers.
Keeping Children Safe
We remain committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Find out more about our safeguarding by visiting our dedicated Safeguarding and Well-being webpage.
- Beat a Bully – If you have information that will help us prevent bullying either speak to your LFT, Head of Year or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take care of it. You can also visit our Anti-Bullying Ambassador website.
Click the icons to visit our social media pages. Please like and share our content.
Websites to support learning
- SMHW https://www.satchelone.com/login?userType=student
- Seneca All Years https://www.senecalearning.com/
- MathsWatch All Years https://vle.mathswatch.co.uk/vle/
- Quizlet All years https://quizlet.com
- GCSE Pod https://www.gcsepod.com/ and Parent Guide.
- Science: https://www.sciencefun.org/kidszone/experiments/
- Reading: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/;
- BBC Bitesize KS3 https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z4kw2hv
- BBC Bitesize GCSE https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z98jmp3
- MORE: Websites for Online Learning